WordPress Training Perth
WordPress Training Seminar in Perth, WA – WordPress Masterclass
This seminar will introduce you to using WordPress. It assumes no prior WordPress knowledge
By the end of the day you will learn how to create your own business website
We recommend that you attend the following training courses in this order.
– WordPress Training
– SEO Training
– YouTube Training
WordPress Seminar Contents
DOMAIN NAMES & WEB HOSTING
- Think about your domain name
- Domain names and SEO
- Register variants of your website domain
- Consider international versions of your domain name
- Remember that your domain name needs to be periodically renewed
- Domain names – consider longer registration periods
PLANNING YOUR WORDPRESS SITE
- Think about your content prior to creating pages
- Map out your page content prior to creating your website
- Consider creating website content within a Microsoft Word document
- Using the cPanel to install WordPress
- Customise your login and password
- Logging into WordPress
TIDING UP YOUR WORDPRESS INSTALLATION
- Dismissing the welcome screen
- Deleting the sample page
- Deleting the sample post
- Deleting default plugins
- Setting your default email address
- Discouraging search engine indexing
- Setting permalinks
- Setting the language – SEO stuff
- Setting the time zone – SEO stuff
CREATING NEW PAGES
- Standard pages found in many websites
- Creating page content
- Opening the ‘sample content’ word document
- Creating a new page
- Viewing the second toolbar within WordPress
- Adding the content
- Entering your page title.
- Publishing your page
- Adding more pages
- Viewing your pages
- Setting your home page
- Viewing your website
- Switching back to the WordPress backend view
- Creating customised menus
- Renaming menu items
- Deleting a menu item
- Linking your menu to your WordPress theme
- Reordering menu items
- Creating sub-menu items
- Using headings
- Heading styles and SEO
- Bold and italic formatting
- Updating pages
- Applying a heading 1 style to every page within your website
- Bullet and numbering formatting
- Indenting text
- Aligning text
- Text colour formatting
- Inserting special characters
- Inserting a horizontal line
- Clearing formatting
- What are themes?
- To see what themes are installed
- Installing a free theme
- Deleting unused themes.
- Reconnecting your menu with the new theme
- The widget display area
- Removing widgets
- Adding widgets
- Where do widgets come from?
- Widget areas and themes
- Templates and full-width view
- Free pictures – beware of copyright law.
- Where to get free pictures
- Uploading images
- Inserting a picture into a page
- Resizing images using drag and drop
- Editing picture properties
- Inserting a caption
- Inserting alternative text
- Picture alignment options
- Inserting a text link
- Anchor text and SEO
- Removing a text link
- Inserting text links to other websites
- Creating links that open in a new window or a new tab
- Image links
- Inserting email links
- Default plugins
- What are plugins?
- Searching for new plugins
- Installing a backup plugin
- Checking out plugins
- Backup prior to installing a new plugin
HTML SITEMAPS VS. XML SITEMAPS
- Two types of sitemaps
- What is an HTML sitemap?
- Premium themes and HTML sitemap template pages
- Using HTML sitemap plugins
- Creating a site map page
- What is an XML sitemap?
- Installing the google xml site map plugin
- Installing a contact form
EMBEDDING YOUTUBE VIDEOS
- Why embed videos?
- Getting the google embed map code
- How to paste HTML code into a webpage
EMBEDDING A GOOGLE MAP
- Embedding a google map into your contact page
- Keeping WordPress up to date
- How do you know when updates are available?
- Keep WordPress, themes and plugins up to date
- Updating plugins
- Updating WordPress
- Updating a theme
SEARCH SNIPPET REVIEW RATING
- Why is this important?
- Installing a star rating system
MOBILE ‘CALL NOW’ BUTTON
- What is a ‘call now’ button?
- Installing a call now button
INSERTING DOWNLOADABLE DOCUMENTS
- Why have downloadable documents?
- How to upload documents
- How to embed documents
- Open documents in a new tab/window
- Comment spam & SEO
- Disabling comments
- The Akismet plugin
- Using a gallery plugin
SOCIAL MEDIA SHARING
- Installing a plugin for social media sharing
FASTER PAGE LOADING SPEEDS
- Measure your speed using ‘google pagespeed insights’
- Using a cache
- Why compress your picture file sizes?
- Compress your picture file sizes
- Optimizing your page coding
- Enabling GZIP
- Measuring your speed improvements
CHECKING FOR BROKEN LINKS
- Why are broken links important?
- Installing a broken links checker
- What are sliders?
- Theme vs plugin sliders
- Customizing the Sydney theme slider
- Installing a slider plugin
ADDITIONAL FONT FORMATTING
- Better text formatting
BLOGS AND POSTS
- Adding a blog to your website
- What is a blog?
- Creating a blog homepage
- Adding your blog home page to your WordPress menu
- Setting your blog home page
- Creating a post
- Posts and categories
SEO – SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION
- What is SEO?
- Onsite vs. Offsite SEO
- 200+ factors affect your search engine ranking
- The google webmaster guidelines
- Installing an SEO plugin
- HTML page title
- HTML page description
WORDPRESS AND FOLDERS
- Why use sub-folders?
- Parent pages and folders
- What are featured images?
- How to attach a featured image
WEBSITE TITLE & TAGLINE
- Customizing your website title and tagline
- Why is mobile search important?
- Using responsive themes
- Why use a premium theme?
CHECKING YOUR WEBSITE
- Check everything!
- Search engine visibility
Perth’s best WordPress Training Course, delivered by David Murray who has been using WordPress since its initial release back in 2003. He has been delivering SEO seminars since 1996!