About this course
- This seminar will build on the knowledge you gained from our WordPress Basics course.
- It will show you how to integrate the SEO knowledge gained from our SEO courses.
- We recommend that you attend the following training courses in this order.
- SEO Masterclass
Categories and tags
- Viewing a list of posts and associated categories
- The ‘uncategorised’ category
- Creating a category
- Slugs and SEO
- Assigning an existing post to a different category
- Assigning a new post to a category when you create the post
- Do not create too many categories
- Assigning tags to posts
- Adding a new tag
Installing premium themes
- Using premium themes
- Installing a premium theme
- Activating a premium theme
- Custom theme options
How to back up your website
- Installing a backup plugin
- Configuring the backup plugin
- Keeping WordPress up to date
- Updating WordPress
- What are page templates?
WordPress folders & SEO
- Why use sub-folders?
- Parent pages and folders
Moving a WordPress website
- Checking your website’s uptime
- Moving ISPs
Converting a non-WordPress website to a WordPress website
- Backup and download your existing website
- Recycle file names
- Replicating page content
- File name extensions
- Maintaining existing folder structure
- What is ftp?
- Installing an ftp program
Social media sharing
- Installing the addthis plugin for social media sharing
Mobile phones & WordPress
- Using responsive themes
- Installing the wptouch plugin for mobile phone website display
- What is comment spam?
- Activating the akismet plugin
- Disabling comments using a plugin
- Onsite vs. Offsite SEO
- Installing an SEO plugin
- Using an SEO plugin
Html sitemaps vs. Xml sitemaps
- Two types of sitemaps
- What is an html sitemap?
- Premium themes and html sitemap template pages
- Using html sitemap plugins
- What is an xml sitemap?
- Installing the google xml site map plugin
Broken link checker
- Installing a checker for broken links
Website page loading speeds
- Google webmaster tools & loading speeds
- Using gzip to make your website faster
- WP smush.it
- Tablepress plugin
Easy pricing tables
Tabs and accordions
Drop shadow boxes for text & pictures
Inserting document download links
- Issues with uploading large document files
- How to upload a word document, pdf document or zip file
Shortcodes & formatting
- Shortcodes ultimate
- Olevmedia shortcodes
Font formatting – size & colour
Photo resizing & cropping
Low cost custom graphics & videos
Check out fiverr.com
- Free graphics, pictures & photographs
- Stay legal!
Rounded image corners
- Gimp – free graphics program
- Using the gallery plugin
- What are featured images?
- How to attach a featured image
Buttons & icons
- Creating custom buttons
- What is a favicon?
- Using a plugin to create a favicon
Searching your website
- Using the standard search widget
- Improving the WordPress search utility
Increase your website security
- The ithemes plugin
- Checking your theme